Just like a car engine, the parts inside a lawnmower can eventually begin to get worn out and cause issues with the operation of the mower. Of course, replacing an engine part is almost always much cheaper than buying a new lawnmower. It's for this very reason that the lawnmower parts on our site and in-store are so popular. Of course, not everyone is familiar with part replacements, so of course, they have questions. Therefore to make selecting that new part easier, we've compiled some of the most common questions below.
What are the basic parts of a lawn mower?
Lawnmowers come in different types and models, but most share some basic parts. Here are the essential parts of a typical walk-behind lawnmower:
1. Engine: The engine is the power source of the lawnmower, which can be either gas-powered or electric. It is responsible for driving the blade that cuts the grass.
2. Blade: The blade is a sharp rotating part that cuts the grass. It can be made of steel or other materials, and it is attached to the engine's crankshaft.
3. Wheels: The wheels are responsible for propelling the lawnmower forward or backwards. They are also used to adjust the cutting height.
4. Handle: The handle steers the lawnmower and controls its speed. It can be a single handle or two separate handles.
5. Grass bag: The grass bag is an optional part of a lawnmower that collects the grass clippings as the blade cuts the grass. It can be made of fabric or plastic.
6. Throttle: The throttle is a lever that controls the engine's speed. It can be adjusted to make the engine run faster or slower.
7. Deck: The deck is the part of the lawnmower that houses the blade and supports the wheels. It can be made of metal or plastic, and it protects the user from flying debris.
What part of a lawnmower must be replaced most?
The part of a lawnmower that needs to be replaced the most often will depend on several factors, such as the type and frequency of usage, the quality of the mower, and the maintenance practices followed. However, some of the parts that may require more frequent replacement include:
1. Blades: Lawnmower blades can become dull or damaged over time, resulting in poor cutting performance and an uneven lawn. Depending on usage frequency, blades may need to be replaced every year or more frequently.
2. Spark plugs: Spark plugs are essential for starting the engine and ensuring efficient fuel combustion. Over time, they can become fouled with carbon deposits, causing the mower to run poorly or fail to start.
3. Air filter: The air filter prevents dirt and debris from entering the engine, and a clogged air filter can reduce performance and increase fuel consumption. Depending on usage, air filters may need to be replaced every season.
4. Drive belts: On self-propelled mowers, drive belts transfer power from the engine to the wheels. These belts can stretch or wear out over time, reducing traction and slower mowing speeds.
5. Fuel filters: Fuel filters remove contaminants from the gasoline before it reaches the engine, and a clogged filter can cause the engine to run poorly or fail to start. Depending on usage, fuel filters may need to be replaced every season.
What is the most reliable type of lawnmower?
When it comes to the most reliable type of lawnmower, it depends on a few things. For example, a push reel mower might be a great option if you have a smaller lawn. These mowers are simple and easy to use since they rely on manual power to cut the grass. They only have a few moving parts, meaning less can go wrong over time. Plus, they're lightweight and easy to manoeuvre, which is great for smaller gardens.
On the other hand, if you have a larger lawn, consider a gas-powered walk-behind mower. These powerful mowers can cover more ground quickly, which is excellent for bigger gardens. They're also generally considered reliable because they have been around for a long time and have been improved over time. Of course, they require regular maintenance, such as oil changes. etc., but if you care for them properly, they can last a long time.
Do you have questions regarding your particular make and model of a lawnmower, or would you like to get expert advice on what part to get? Then please get in touch with our location today. We are always more than happy to help. We offer the very lawnmower parts in Ireland.